sábado, 7 de agosto de 2010

Monthly Mood Board: August” y 11 mas

Monthly Mood Board: August” y 11 mas


Monthly Mood Board: August

Posted: 07 Aug 2010 07:00 AM PDT

This month we’re loving neutrals, retro styling, and Kate Lanphear.

1. Rae dress by Motel; 2. Illustrations by Camilla de Rosario; 3. Moscot Glasses; 4. All My Friends Are Dead from Chronicle Books; 5. Essie’s Haute As Hello; 6. Uncanny: Surrealism and Graphic Design by Rick Poynor; 7. Emma Watson’s new haircut; 8. Stella McCartney’s Spring/Summer 2010; 9. Prada’s fantasy lookbook; 10. Acne Mohawk 2 Lace-up Moccasins; 11. Tina Chow; 12. American Apparel Over-The-Knee socks; 13. Jean Dunard watch; 14. Totes from JF&Son; 15. Tom Sachs’ studio via The Selby; 16. Stephanie Seymour in RUSSH; 17. Comme des Garçonnes’ Holygrace; 18. The xx; 19. Kate Lanphear for Eddie Borgo; 20.The yellow lobster; 21. Siri Tollerod in Vogue Italia; 22. Style at the M Missoni party; 23. The art of Keith Haring; 24. New looks from La Garçonne; 25. Guinevere Van Seenus; 26. Mary-Kate Olsen for Marie Claire; 27. Urban Outfitters knuckle ring; 28. Repetto Michael suede loafer; 29. APC military jacket



New Internships On Fashionista!

Posted: 06 Aug 2010 03:30 PM PDT

Are you looking for a stellar fall internship?

Well we’ve got a bunch! Just click over to our Fashion Careers tab to see internship postings from WWD, Isaac Mizrahi, La Prairie, oh, and us, Fashionista!

If you’ve got what it takes, follow the instructions on each post and apply! And, hey, maybe you’ll be writing this post come December!



WWD Needs Fashion and Accessories Interns!

Posted: 06 Aug 2010 03:18 PM PDT

Want to intern for one of the most established, well-respected daily publications, read by just about everyone in the industry? You should.

Women’s Wear Daily, who just celebrated their 100th birthday, is looking for interns for its fashion and accessories closets.

When: Fall semester.

Qualifications: Interns must be hard-working, detail-oriented and good at multi-tasking in a high pressure environment.

Duties:
Interns will get hands-on experience in the publishing industry, doing everything from checking in samples, to location scouting to assisting on set for photo shoots. Please note, this is NOT a writing internship, but provides an amazing amount of exposure to the fashion industry.

Interns MUST:
be eligible for college credit and available at least three full days (10-7) per week.

Please send resume, cover letter, potential start date and availability to wwdinterns@gmail.com!



La Prairie is Looking for a PR Intern!

Posted: 06 Aug 2010 03:06 PM PDT

Looking to break into the beauty biz? Or maybe you’re just a beauty product snob. Either way you’re in luck. La Prarie, one of the most luxurious beauty brands (yes, they’re the ones with a $1,000 anti-aging cream), needs a PR intern.

Here’s the description:
Luxury Swiss beauty brand La Prairie (www.laprairie.com – best known for cult favorite cobalt blue Skin Caviar and $1,000 platinum-infused anti-aging cream) is looking to hire a self-proclaimed beauty product lover and aspiring publicist for a Fall 2010 PR internship. The internship starts late August – December 2010(dates flexible).

Amazing experience and exposure to how a cosmetics company handles their communications internally and to the press – this is an ideal opportunity for communication students in college. The intern will help with building and maintaining media lists, drafting press releases, handling product send-outs, pitching print and online media, vendor sourcing, assisting at company events and handling admin duties. Aside from working with Communications, you'll also have exposure to the work of the Spa division too, which handles our NYC, Beverly Hills and Grand Cayman namesake spas.

A desire to learn all about PR, an ability to think on your feet quickly, a polished, professional look and resourcefulness are musts.

Our PR Intern will work directly for the Communications department, gaining priceless experience and exposure to the ins and outs of a luxury beauty brand.

The internship is unpaid, but you will be on the receiving end of some high-end creams and makeup and course credit, plus the hours are flexible (so long as you can swing at least 3 days / week).

If interested, email your resume and cover letter to jaime.maser@laprairie.com.



Best Dressed: Gwyneth Does Goyard, Selma Does Sheer, and Diane Does Denim

Posted: 06 Aug 2010 03:00 PM PDT



In this weeks best dressed Gwyneth stays cool in NYC with a monogram Goyard tote, Selma dons a short and sheer mini, Kristin Cavallari looks perfect in white with gold and leopard accessories, Diane channels our Street Style (or vice versa?) and Eva Mendes does her best Joan Harris impression.



Isaac Mizrahi Is Looking For An Accessory Design Intern!

Posted: 06 Aug 2010 02:48 PM PDT

If you’re interested in accessory design you can’t beat this internship with Isaac Mizrahi.

Applicants should be:
* Detail oriented and good multi-taskers
* Organized and able to help with day to day admin tasks
* Familiar with NYC trim shops, garment district stores, etc.
* Proficient in Photoshop, Illustrator, Excell (InDesign is a plus!)
* Able to manage FedEx shipping, tracking, and receiving
* Able to whip up a gorgeous line sheet- take photos of product, clean up photos and create a line sheet for market
* Able to help with runway show during fashion week
* Able to help with market after show
* Available 2-3 days a week, with later hours around the show

Please Send all Resumes to the Attention of Brandon Lewis at Mizrahi.Intern@gmail.com.



Isaac Mizrahi is Looking For a PR Intern!

Posted: 06 Aug 2010 02:42 PM PDT

Isaac Mizrahi is looking for an intern who wants to learn the PR ropes for one of the industry’s leading designers. And they want you ASAP. Fashion Week draws near…

Here’s the description:
The Public Relations Department is looking for an intern to start as soon as possible. With fashion week approaching, they need someone to assist through out the process as well as help traffic samples, manage the sample closet and other departmental tasks. Candidates who can work through the semester are preferable.

Please forward all resumes to the attention of Brandon Lewis at Mizrahi.intern@gmail.com.



Odin Launches a Floral Scent for Girls and Boys

Posted: 06 Aug 2010 02:00 PM PDT

In 2008, Paul Birardi and Eddy Chai, owners of perennial favorite menswear boutique Odin, opened Pas de Deux, a lovely, perfectly edited female counterpart. Basically, if our entire wardrobe could be from Pas de Deux and our boyfriend’s entire wardrobe from Odin, life would be perfect.

Appealing to both a male an female customer must have proven successful because last year, Paul and Eddy debuted a set of three unisex fragrances: 01 Nomad, 02 Owari, and 03 Century. This week their newest addition, 04 Petrana hits stores. Impressively, each of the first three scents are truly unisex, as in I don’t think any of them would be completely shunned by one sex or the other.

Petrana combines the “spicy earthiness of pink pepper” with “fresh floral notes of wild orris.” Other labels have created floral-based scents for men, but I have to admit that, as a girl, I was more drawn to it than the first three (though I do genuinely like all of them). The scent may not be shunned entirely by men, but I think it will take a certain type of man to pull it off and that man probably shops at Odin. From the press release:

“Transported to a Jordanian desert landscape covered in blooming Black Iris comes a floral
scent that reveals its dark complexion from earth to air. The heart of Petrana emerges from a
foundation of wild orris root and green violet leaf absolute. Herbaceous coriander, spicy pink
pepper and deep purple cassis float above the blooms infusing luminous freshness.”

A breakdown of the notes:

Top: Deep Purple Cassis, Pink Pepper, Herbaceous Coriander
Middle: Black Iris, Violet Leaf Absolute, Garden Heliotrope
Base: Wild Orris Root, Earthy Vetiver, White Musk

Yes, we agree – it’s hard to decide if you like a scent based on descriptions like “deep purple cassis” and “Jordanian desert landscape” So, we suggest you smell it yourself. 04 Petrana retails for $110 and is available at Barney’s, Odin and Pas de Deux, Brown’s in London and Collette in Paris. Check out odinedt.com for more.



Racked Dealfeed: Stila, ELF & More

Posted: 06 Aug 2010 01:55 PM PDT

Aerie
Deal: Enter code 54723905 at checkout to save 15% off your purchase
When: Ends August 17, 2010

ELF
Deal: Enter code BEST at checkout to save 50% off the price of any of the best sellers listed in the link
When: Ends August 12, 2010

Lomography
Deal: 15% to 50% off cameras and camera accessories
When/Where: Saturday, August 7 through Sunday, August 8. Sat 10:30am—9pm, Sun 11am—7pm. 41 W. 8th St between MacDougal St and Sixth Ave (212-529-4353), New York

Stila Cosmetics
Deal: Online warehouse sale, and free shipping of purchases of $50 or more.
When/Where: Online, through Sunday at midnight



Thank You To Our Advertisers!

Posted: 06 Aug 2010 01:30 PM PDT


Thanks to this week’s advertisers!



Quote of the Day: If Only Jennifer Aniston Hadn’t Gotten Her “Septum Straightened”

Posted: 06 Aug 2010 01:00 PM PDT

“I was very flattered that Jennifer Aniston chose to interpret my style with the photos in Harper’s Bazaar. She’s a delightful person, and I think she did a wonderful job. If only she had a bump on her nose.” Barbara Streisand on Jennifer Aniston’s Funny Girl inspired shoot in Harper’s Bazaar September issue.



How I’m Making It: Kimberly Taylor

Posted: 06 Aug 2010 12:30 PM PDT

For this week’s installment of “How I’m Making It” we’d like to introduce you to Kimberly Taylor. The 25-year-old Brooklyn native has her own store in the Meatpacking district and her eponymous line is sold by over 100 luxury retailers across the globe. Here’s how she got there.

How did your line come about?
I started about two years ago with a line of silk tanks. I had no formal training. But I consider myself more like an editor. The aesthetic of the line was really simple. I take a style that I like and strip it down so the pieces all lend themselves to personal style. That's why I have such a broad range of people who wear my clothes–because they're able to have fun with them. So I found these factories through lists and Google and I'm actually still working with the first factory I walked into. They produce for Rag & Bone and all these amazing lines made in New York. I think that made in New York means something in the industry and it definitely means something to me because I'm from here and my whole process has happened here.

How did you raise the money?
My capital was raised at this trunk show I held in my parents home in Gravesend, Brooklyn. I had 400 units, and I sold everything at retail. So I started with a few thousand dollars that I had saved up and after that sale I had about $30,000. It was crazy. It was just family friends who were excited for me and interested to see what I was doing. They were really supportive.

What was the scariest thing about going out on your own?
The scariest thing for me was putting my name on a brand. If it failed miserably, that's my name. I couldn't chalk it up to some other company. I made a decision when I got my Shopbop order and joined with my showroom that this was something I was going to put my whole heart into. It was the same kind of leap of faith I took when I opened my store in the Meatpacking–because I should not have had a store yet. But it made me rise to the occasion. Now it's been a year since my store opened and it helped me from a line of tanks and tees to a collection. It's been a long road but you have to take that risk and go for it and somehow someway things fall into place.

A look from Taylor's lookbook

What’s your fashion background?
I went to Gallatin at NYU–which is individualized study. My self-designed major was fashion editorial and media studies. So through NYU I got these great internships at Teen Vogue and Alexander McQueen and I learned that this was an industry I wanted to be in. My family has a background in the industry: My brother's a designer for childrenswear and my dad was in retail for a long time.

After school I started working for this jewelry designer, Janis Savitt, right when she was launching her own brand. So I was there at a pivotal time for her and she really taught me to have that go-getter attitude. She was already really accomplished yet she was working out of her apartment and she showed me that if you want to get it done you have to do it yourself and put yourself out there.

What’s the ballsiest thing you’ve done for your career?
I've dropped off garment bags at major New York City stores’ offices. I got Intermix that way. They wouldn't give me an appointment so I Googled them to find their business address. I found a listing with a suite number so I figured that must be their offices. I looked at the list at the front door, filled out a sticky note at the top of my garment bag and handed it over and hoped for the best. And that's what you have to do, you have to take that chance. And then Intermix emailed me. I wasn't with a showroom at the time, I didn't have a line sheet, and I barely had pricing.

I’ll also sell clothes off my own body at trade shows if they like what I'm wearing. There are no boundaries. You have to be your own cheerleader and hope that it pays off and you don't look like an ass.

Who has helped you the most along the way?
Janis Savitt was an inspiration to me to be able to watch her do everything on her own and see that it can work. But my dad has really helped me the most. After an article about me came out in WWD, my dad said 'OK, you've proved yourself, you've proved that this is something you really want to do, and I want to make it happen for you the right way–you need to get incorporated.’ I don't think he ever thought that he'd be as invested as he is right now. He's in my office with me every day right now. He's with me 100% and he runs my retail operation so I can focus on design and wholesale. I feel lucky.

Do you and your dad ever fight when you’re working together?
It is touchy at times working with my dad, but we're all on the same team and he's just trying to guide me with his experience. He still is my dad–I can't speak to him like he is a partner and I wouldn't because I have that respect for him and his experience.

What are your biggest challenges now?
At the moment my biggest challenge is the website. I don't know many individual lines that have an e-commerce sites that are successful. So keeping up with that has been tremendous and time consuming and it tests me everyday. But it has opened so many doors for me thus far. I've seen the results. I'm doing e-commerce, a blog, my personal Facebook page is my company now and I interact with everyone there and I get a lot of feedback from people messaging me, and I'm very active on twitter.

Where do you see yourself in five years?
I want to open up more retail stores, starting in New York. There are enough neighborhoods here where I’d love to be–like the Lower East Side or Nolita. I’m inspired by a lot of personal style that you see in downtown New York.

Ok, last question. Are people ever surprised by how young you are?
People are always surprised–there have been numerous occasions when I got mistaken for my own intern, but I love that! This is an industry that thrives on youth and I try to use my age to my advantage to better represent my brand and relate to my customers.



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario