miércoles, 12 de mayo de 2010

Domino and Spy Top List of Most-Missed Magazines: But What About Sassy?” y 11 mas

Domino and Spy Top List of Most-Missed Magazines: But What About Sassy?” y 11 mas


Domino and Spy Top List of Most-Missed Magazines: But What About Sassy?

Posted: 12 May 2010 07:14 AM PDT



Of all the magazines that have shuttered over the last 20 years, people miss home shopping guide Domino most, according to a new poll conducted by media site MinOnline. Spy, the satirical book created by Kurt Andersen and Graydon Carter, comes in second.

Rounding out the top five were Gourmet, Life and Metropolitan Home. But what about the plethora of fashion books who said goodbye in the last two decades?

Apparently there were some write-ins for Sassy, which is one of those magazines that fashion girls miss even if they were too young to read it when it was actually around.

I’d say Sassy would top my list, rounded out by Jane, ELLEGirl, Amelia’s and Blueprint. Fortunately, a couple of these still produce original content online, but most are gone forever.

Which magazine would you love to see resurrected?



Banana Republic Must Think Their ‘Lorenz’ Necklace is Pretty Clever

Posted: 11 May 2010 04:15 PM PDT



Meet Banana Republic’s ‘Lorenz’ necklace.

It costs $79.50. It has silver chains wrapped with gold mesh and a few rhinestones.

Thoughts of Fenton/Fallon might cross your mind—it’s like a cheaper, flimsier version of the popular mixed medium jewelry—but really this idea’s spread far and wide, right?

The problem is Banana Republic’s named their necklace the Lorenz, as in Dana Lorenz, the beloved jeweler whose fame has skyrocketed thanks to a collaboration with J.Crew and a new(ish) store on the Lower East Side. Sure, most customers probably don’t notice the play on words. But we bet those who do will run the other direction.



Posted: 11 May 2010 03:30 PM PDT

Vogue Nippon’s Technicolor Dream

Posted: 11 May 2010 03:01 PM PDT



Our favorite spread from last month’s Vogue Nippon accessories supplement.



Tyra Banks and Philip Roth Have More In Common Than You Think

Posted: 11 May 2010 02:00 PM PDT




“…[Tyra] has promised that the tome will be filled with ‘fierceness and magic.’ Which, to be fair, is exactly how Philip Roth described his Pulitzer Prize-winning novel American Pastoral.”-Entertainment Weekly on Tyra Bank’s first novel, Modelland



Question: Why Do People Care What Elena Kagan Looks Like?

Posted: 11 May 2010 01:15 PM PDT



I love what Michelle Obama has done for American fashion, whether it’s translated into sales or not. And I can kind of understand why people have criticized Hillary Clinton’s pantsuits, or Sarah Brown’s transformation from frumpy matriarch to fashion-savvy 40-something.

But really, who cares what a candidate for the U.S. Supreme Court looks like? Now, I’m not going feign incredible interest in the media coverage surrounding Elena Kagan, the lawyer President Obama has nominated to serve on the Supreme Court. Of course I care to an extent, but that’s not what this story is about. (If you do want to learn more about Kagan’s background, I suggest visiting our sister site, Above the Law.)

I may not approve, but I am incredibly fascinated by the amount of attention paid to Kagan’s appearance. Sure, she’s not a hottie. She does, as TMZ and people in my office have suggested, kind of look like the long lost sister of Kevin James, the comedian from that CBS sitcom King of Queens. But why, in any circumstance, does it matter?

She’s not even going to be that public of a figure. When was the last time you saw a picture of Associate Justice Clarence Thomas? For me, that date would be sometime in 1991, when he was appointed to the Supreme Court. (Okay, I’m sure I have seen an image of him since then, but I can’t recall specifically.)

Karl Lagerfeld might say some insane things, but he’s never been wiser than when he addressed the world’s obsession with Hillary Clinton’s attire in WWD: “My favorite is Ms. Clinton because you have no real idea what she is wearing. She is so clever and so brilliant that you see only her face–but also what she wears is right, you never really look at it because one is fascinated by her intelligence. But there is never a gimmick or bad detail either.”

And while were at it, doesn’t obsessing over the way these women look deter from the matter at hand? As a colleague said to me today, “I feel like the only thing we heard about Obama [during the election] was her gym regiment and her choice of designers.”

If Lagerfeld–the kaiser of appearances–doesn’t care what these women look like, should any of us?



Street Style: Grace’s Fancy Pants

Posted: 11 May 2010 12:35 PM PDT



Name: Grace

Age: 28

Occupation: 3rd grade teacher

What is your favorite magazine?
Vogue

What is your favorite song? “November Rain” by Guns N' Roses

Heels or flats?
Flats, because I'm tall.

Where are your pants from? A thrift store in East Hampton.

Where are your shoes from?
Steve Madden.

Describe your style: Dark and modern. Lots of black with a mix up of vintage and thrift store finds.

All photos by Ashley Jahncke.



An Open Letter to the CEO of Abercrombie & Fitch

Posted: 11 May 2010 12:01 PM PDT



Dear Michael Jeffries,

I hope this finds you well, and that you’re enjoying the $36.3 million “paycheck” you received in 2009! Yeah, yeah, I know your actual salary was only $1.5 million and that $33.3 million was in options awards. So that must mean you plan on sticking around for a while.

Abercrombie is, after all, your baby. After joining the company in 1992, you transformed a staid hunting gear outfit into the most popular teen label of the 1990s. In that logo-obsessed era, every kid wanted to buy into the A&F lifestyle. Girls tacked your Bruce Weber pinups onto their walls, while guys made Abercrombie vintage-inspired t-shirts and madras shorts their uniform.

And your magazine–A&F Quarterly–was beloved by both sexes. Sure, the raunchy photography was an attractor, but compelling topics were also plentiful. The quarterly–which is evidently still produced today, but only for the European market–was filled with articles and illustrations worthy of one of those expensive indie titles you find in the “culture” section of the magazine rack.

But beefcake chic didn’t last forever, and now consumers want something a bit more authentic. Something closer to what Abercrombie was in the first place. Shoppers today are obsessed with value, heritage. If they’re going to buy into a label, they want it to have integrity.

So despite your attempts to capitalize on the brand’s continued popularity overseas, locations in the US have suffered. Last year, A&F saw sales decrease 16% to $2.9 billion. That’s still a lot of money, but you run a public company, which means all those shares you were just rewarded are worth less and less as the company loses influence.

Here’s the crazy part. I visited an Abercrombie & Fitch last year for the first time in a decade, and the clothes, I must admit, were actually pretty nice. Not only were they well-designed and on-trend, they were worthy of coveting. But there’s a few reasons not that many people have realized this. Fortunately, I think I have some ideas on how you can lure your customer back:

1. Get rid of the cologne. Please, please, please stop drenching your bricks in fragrance. The scent emanates out the door, and it’s not inviting. I’m sure that cologne and perfume are big sellers for you, but it’s overwhelming, and a huge turn off. Keep the scents by the register where people will buy them on impulse. I swear I’ve never stepped foot in Hollister on Broadway in SoHo because the stench is insufferable.

2. Let people see inside the damn store! I know you think shaded windows and dim lights give off an air of exclusivity, but it just means no one really knows what you have to offer. (Except stinky cologne.) When I visited Abercrombie at a mall in Pittsburgh last year, I really liked the plaid shirts, the cut-offs, the collegiate rugby-inspired bags. Why are you letting Ralph take your share of the teen market when you were there first? Show off what you’ve got!

3. Lay off on the beefcake. Just for a minute.
I know those muscle-men are good looking. And girls in bikinis can be sexy. But it’s a little too stripper-like, you know? Right now, people appreciate subversive sexy. It’s okay to push the envelope, but really, discriminating against potential hires for not looking white enough in Tokyo? That’s a little absurd. I understand that you like to hire people with a certain fresh-faced style. But all this negative press–and the amount of money you’ve had to shell out to disgruntled employees–can’t look good to the shareholders.

So that’s my two cents. Can you save A&F? I think so. But you’ve got to remind people why the store exists. Because they’ve clearly forgotten.



Jennifer Lopez Loves the Camera for Vogue Italia

Posted: 11 May 2010 11:00 AM PDT



Jennifer Lopez rarely looks great on a magazine cover. She’s usually airbrushed into oblivion and wearing something insanely tight and uncomfortable looking. Her Vogue Italia cover isn’t out yet (at least not in the States), but she practically glows in this behind the scenes video directed by Michelangelo Di Battista. Ok, so maybe not in the still above, but it gets better. We promise.



Seven Questions for Gigi Burris

Posted: 11 May 2010 10:00 AM PDT



You’ve probably heard Gigi Burris‘ name already—Rihanna wore one of her hats in W, they’ve been featured in Self Service, Elle, The Last Magazine and even on Ugly Betty. But who is she and where’d she come from? We asked.

Fashionista: So, you’re a milliner?
Gigi Burris: I recently graduated from Parsons School of Design, where I was nominated for Designer of the Year. Since then I started my own namesake line of couture hats and made to order garments.

Fashionista: How did you get from there to here so quickly?
GB: When presenting my senior thesis to some pretty major industry professionals, the response was mainly on the seven couture hats I crafted to accompany my collection. I apprenticed with a couture milliner the summer prior to my senior year in school, and have always had a love for headwear. It was no question it would play a major role in my Parsons thesis. Stylists, celebrities and buyers had a strong reaction to the hats specifically, so it was a natural progression to keep producing them. It’s been less than a year since I started, but I’ve been so blessed with the support I’ve received.

Fashionista: What do you love about your job? Hate?
GB: I love that I have an outlet for true unfiltered creativity. I find so much joy in making the hats. I adore the craft, working with my hands, and being able to produce something from start to finish. I’m so grateful that at 23 I have a platform on which to showcase my own vision. I hate that my manicure doesn’t last for more than a few days, ever. I am constantly working with wire, glue, feathers, etc, and it shows with working girl hands.

Fashionista: There are about a million kids who want to be fashion designers right now, why do you think you’ve succeeded?
GB: I’ve been so incredibly blessed with the support of friends that work in the industry. I also think that being gracious, appreciative, and kind goes along way in a town of people that are sometimes not so nice to work with. I also think I offer something unique in the market right now. Customers want something special, a luxury item not everyone else is going to have. There’s a need for a younger voice in the millinery world.

Fashionista: Do you prefer designing hats or clothes?
GB: Hats are the icing on the cake. I believe that they’re necessary to my complete design vision. At the moment, I prefer designing hats because they bring me so much happiness! But I went to Parsons to train in clothing design and that will always be my true passion. Chanel, Lanvin, they all began as milliners. It’s an incredible craft, that at this point allows me to make a statement in the fashion world. The art of making couture hats translates into clothing in the high standards of construction, and has absolutely influenced the way I design clothing.

Fashionista: What’s something no one knows about you?
GB: I’m a nationally ranked synchronized swimmer. I was state solo-champion multiple years in a row! We would wear the most intricate sequined bathing suits, and incredible headpieces.

Fashionista: What do you want to be doing in ten years?
GB: I’d like to have a large platform from which to project my aesthetic. I’d love to work for a major house that I admire, Elsa Schiaparelli’s re-launch would be a dream. If my brand continues to grow, I see a full runway ready to wear collection in ten years, no doubt.



Fashion News Roundup: Chanel’s Silver Balls, Lily’s Knits & Leigh’s Vodka Party

Posted: 11 May 2010 09:00 AM PDT



Score: So you’re not one of the select few playing Bocce ball in the south of France with Karl Lagerfeld, Pacey, and Vanessa Paradis, as least Garance is there to snap pretty pictures of the pretty people. {Garance}

True Story: Lily Cole’s the face of a new knitwear line, but more importantly, there is an excess of wool in the UK. {theMoment}

Vodka Party: Belvedere Vodka’s commandeering New York’s party scene this weekend. Thursday night’s their V Magazine bash, Sessilee Lopez and Alek Wek are toasting Belvedere’s Pink Grapefruit launch on Friday and Refinery29 and Leigh Lezark will do so on Saturday. Want that pink caftan Matthew Williamson whipped up for the launch? Click through. {Refinery29}

Round & Round: Hamsters in the soles of stripper shoes are funny only because they’re so obviously fake. God forbid someone decides to make hamsters happen in real life. {Jezebel}

Due Date: Claudia Schiffer’s Vogue Germany cover is very Demi Moore-inspired, meaning she’s both very naked and very pregnant. Of course, she looks amazing. {Models}



Mark Fast Snags an ANDAM Nomination

Posted: 11 May 2010 08:00 AM PDT



Bryanboy’s just tweeted congratulations to this year’s ANDAM nominees.

They’re not even listed on the foundation’s site yet, but they sound more than plausible (and incredibly international): Francesco Scognamiglio, Mark Fast, Alexandre Vauthier, Bouchra Jarrar, Calla Haynes and Hakaan Yildirim.

Carine Roitfeld leads this year’s judging panel with Alber Elbaz, Hilary Alexander, Colette’s Sarah Lerfel, Jefferson Hack and Humberto Leon as well as Renzo Rosso’s Only the Brave and the Pierre Bergé-Yves Saint Laurent Foundation. Together they’ll grant the winner over $300,000 (more than the CFDA or BFC emerging desinger awards), mentoring, and the chance to show their collection in Paris.

Recent winners Gareth Pugh and Giles Deacon have benefited immeasurably from the award—and all of the nominees above deserve the attention. The winner will be announced next month.



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario