jueves, 27 de mayo de 2010

Street Style: Richie’s Classics With a Twist” y 10 mas

Street Style: Richie’s Classics With a Twist” y 10 mas


Street Style: Richie’s Classics With a Twist

Posted: 26 May 2010 03:30 PM PDT



Name: Richie

Occupation: Media Producer

If you were to get a tattoo right now, what would it be? A Centipede.

What is your favorite store to shop in? Diesel, but I also like thrift stores a lot.

What is your favorite summertime drink? Chilled honey and scotch infusion, I like interesting drinks made by mixologists.

Where are your pants from? I had them custom made by a designer in LA.

What's the story with the pin on your shirt? I got this from a friend, people are always commenting on it, yesterday some girl said to me "I know where Iggy is, I just had lunch with him in Williamsburg!"

**All photos by Ashley Jahncke.



Last Night’s Parties: SATC 2’s Sad Surprises, Kelis Brings Milkshake to Mulberry, and VMAN Makes Scadinavia Even Sexier

Posted: 26 May 2010 02:30 PM PDT



We were determined to get to it all last night.

First, we headed to midtown for a cocktail reception and screening of Sex and the City 2 at the Paris Theatre. Sponsor HP did a great job at attracting plenty of bold names–and the after party at Bergdorf Goodman, featuring tons of scrumptious Mediterranean snacks, impressed–but it didn’t distract from the fact that the movie disappointed on pretty much every level.

To quote Jezebel quoting film critics, it was “insipid,” “condescending,” and “blatantly anti-Muslim,” not to mention anti-woman, anti-love, and in its own way, anti-fashion. We were seriously depressed after the two and a half hour nightmare. (There will be more thoughts from us on the clothes tomorrow, following Steff and Cheryl’s screening of the film tonight.)

After a kebab and a cocktail, it was time to move on. Unfortunately, it was too late to stop by Mulberry at Milk, which drew the crowds with Kelis, who performed one of our favorite songs, “Milkshake.” (Man, we can’t believe we missed this!) Those who were able to make it told us that the show was stellar, as was the preview of photographer Venetia Dearden's new book Glastonbury – Another Stage. (The British leather goods house sponsored its publication.)

But on a night like this, there can be no regrets, so we trudged along, stopping off at Good Units under the Hudson Hotel, where VMan hosted a fabulous runway show of Scandinavian fashions. Brand featured included Bruuns Bazaar, Cheap Monday, Day Birger et Mikkelsen, and Henrik Vibskov. However, the real story of the evening was the stellar cast of models, including Maggie Rizer, Crystal Renn, Pat Cleveland, and her daughter Anna Van Ravenstein.

So, despite the particularly disappointing beginning, our night ended on a particularly high note.



Gaultier Out at Hermes, Lemaire In

Posted: 26 May 2010 01:31 PM PDT



After seven years under the helm of fashion’s enfant-terrible, Jean Paul Gaultier, Hermes has hired Christophe Lemaire as its new creative director. Lemaire previously worked as Lacoste’s creative director for eight years.

With Gaultier out and Lemaire in, it’s undeniable that Hermes is finally taking a more commercial approach to its ready-to-wear collection. Under the command of Gaultier, and earlier Martin Margiela, Hermes prêt-à-porter gained an avant-garde reputation which, while popular in editorials, was not popular in stores.

We’re expecting Lemaire’s first collection, due in March 2011, to be sportswear heavy, helping to transform Hermes’ ready-to-wear collection into a viable business.

Hermes, however, still owns nearly half of Gaultier’s own label. While the company says it’s not planning to sell its stock in Jean Paul Gaultier, there are indications that it probably will.

Hermes does not own Gaultier’s main money maker, his fragrance license. Beauté Prestige International does, meaning that Hermes only reaps the benefits of Gaultier’s collection, couture, and accessories lines whose sales are not very high. (Sure, it makes some money form the license, but not as much as Beauté Prestige.)

If Hermes sells, we’re hoping that a larger conglomerate, like LVMH or PPR, will invest in Jean Paul Gaultier, or else it might be au revoir Jean. Christian Lacroix suffered a similar fate, when after leaving Pucci in 2005, LVMH sold its stake in his label, which was bought by the Falic Group, only to file for bankruptcy four years later.



Putting the Pieces Together in V

Posted: 26 May 2010 01:00 PM PDT

Dana Lorenz, Prabal Gurung, Joseph Altuzarra and Simon Spurr Celebrate Swarovski

Posted: 26 May 2010 12:06 PM PDT



We’re not huge on sparkles, but when talents like menswear great Simon Spurr, Fenton/Fallon jewelry master Dana Lorenz and It-designers Prabal Gurung and Joseph Altuzarra create with crystals, we take notice.

This morning’s breakfast at Swarovski’s Creative Service Center–which is kind of like a candy store for designers who love crystals instead of kids who love sweets–celebrated the new shine-heavy capsule collection created by the foursome, along with Alexander Wang, Jason Wu, Eddie Borgo, Richard Chai and Patrick Ervell. Each designer, natch, is nominated for the CFDA’s Swarovski Award in his or her respective category.

At Swarovski, we got to check out the drawers and drawers of fancy accoutrements used in the company’s collections, which include collaborations with industry stalwarts like Karl Lagerfeld. Then it was time to view the nominees’ pieces, displayed nearby in one of Bergdorf Goodman’s choice windows.

We’re particularly fond of Lorenz’s tough-but-pretty choker (shown) and Altuzarra’s tux, but really, it’s all good. Like, “worth a trip to Bergdorf’s to check out the window” good. But for a virtual close-up, see our gallery below.



Quote of the Day: Daphne Guinness’ Bad Hair Day Tip

Posted: 26 May 2010 11:35 AM PDT




When I think my hair needs a bit of help, I just glue another bit on to my head. – Daphne Guinness to the


Central St. Martin’s Final Selections Announced: See The Designs That Were Left Behind

Posted: 26 May 2010 10:31 AM PDT



LONDON–Whether it was from exhaustion or elation, a few tears were shed and a tantrum or two thrown inside talent incubator Central St. Martins this past Monday.

Why the brouhaha? The 40 graduates who’ll make it into the final press show next Tuesday–the one that’s covered by everyone from Fashionista to Style.com to Vogue UK–were chosen. And while about 80 students were left behind, most of the creations shown in Monday’s preliminary trial were anything but forgettable.

A jury of industry experts were invited to weigh in on the epic runway presentation, which included mini collections from all 125 graduates from womenswear, menswear, print, knit and fashion design & marketing. By St. Martins’ professors own admissions, some students–despite strong collections–didn’t make it into next Tuesday’s final show. The goal is to compose a cohesive, balanced and succinct final presentation.

Fashion BA course director Willie Walters says that the school’s priorities are never in doubt. “People come to us for creative idea generators, not someone who can design a great high street collection. They can get that from another college.”

Here, we bring you a sampling of students whose works you won’t see in the press show next week (which we’ll also be covering, so be sure to check back on June 2).

**All photos by Sabrina Morrison



Posted: 26 May 2010 09:45 AM PDT

Fashion News Roundup: Carrie’s Panties, Poppy’s Film, & Vogue UK’s Contest

Posted: 26 May 2010 09:00 AM PDT



Internet Famous: Style.com compiled a list of landmark moments in blogging. We’re on it for Adventures in Copyright! {Style.com}

I’m a Magda: In honor of Sex and the City 2 coming out tomorrow, Refinery 29 compiled a list of the tackiest SATC products. But where are the Madga, Steve, and Harry apparel items? {Refinery29}

Pool Party: Poppy de Villeneuve shot this short film, starring Liu Wen and Edoardo Ballerini. Make sure to check out the behind the scenes photos by Hanneli, too. {NOWNESS}

Ave Maria: Maria Cornejo talks movies, music, and her label with The Moment. She’s not into platforms, but digs jumpsuits. {The Moment}

Help Wanted: Street-Style Blogger: Vogue UK is holding a contest for street-style bloggers. Submit your photos for a chance to blog on glossy’s Web site. {Vogue UK}

Mango Goes Live: Mango will be livestreaming its fashion show tonight at 10pm. {Facebook.com}



Newsflash: Miraclebody Jeans Are Not Miraculous

Posted: 26 May 2010 08:00 AM PDT



I have somehow become Fashionista's guinea pig for fit-testing, and I have to say I'm enjoying the role immensely. I only hope that these things aren't being sent my way because Lauren thinks I need to be lifted or minimized.

After my review of hello! Skinnyjeans, we received an email from Miraclebody, the company which also makes the time-tested Miraclesuit swimsuit. The company jumped into the jeans market in 2009, and its tag line is "Look 10 pounds lighter in 10 seconds." I think we can all agree that ten pounds is kind of a lot; on me that translates to a size or two.

The company sent me a dark indigo boot cut, skinny cut white jeans, and indigo jeggings. I tried them all and also gave them to two friends to try, just to introduce some different body types into the equation. We all had pretty much the same reaction: Yawn.

The rise was way too high for all three of us, and we range from 5'4" to 5'9" in height. It was total mom jean territory. The front minimizing panel was uncomfortable, and on the white jeans it was visible through the denim. The back pocket placement seemed too high, and gave my tall ex-dancer friend a completely flat derriere. And no, none of us looked any thinner.

I actually really liked the jeggings, though. They were a great indigo color with classic stitching up the side. The waistband was wide and not too constrictive. The jeggings sat pretty flat and didn't look bunched up under a long shirt. But conventional wisdom tells us that jeggings should not be treated like regular pants and should generally be covered up. So what's the point of minimizing panels and butt-lifting that really won't be seen?

A positive? The price point was good–$68-$110. They're sold at Saks and Bloomingdale's, among other places.

I'm tired of gimmicky clothing. There are tons and tons of great basic jeans out there that become popular because of their quality and value. I guarantee that everyone can find a flattering pair in their price range. Slick marketing and pandering to women's insecurities is not endearing and makes me want to avoid a product.

Now, does anyone else want me to try anything on? Isabel Marant, I'd love to try some of your wares!



Our Interview with Modeling Sensation Ashley Smith

Posted: 26 May 2010 07:00 AM PDT



Model Ashley Smith is staging a fashion industry takeover. Blonde, buxom, and beautiful, Ashley has the frame of Freja with a Lara sized chest, and if there was ever a moment to be busty, it’s now. Aside from shooting with Terry Richardson, posing for Russh Beauty, and causing Mert & Marcus to fall “in love with her,” Ashley has the personality of a true supermodel.

Click through to get to know modeling’s next big star.

Fashionista: How old are you and where are you from?
Ashley Smith: I’m 19, but a lot of people say I’ve got the face of a 14-year-old and the soul of a wise old woman, so you do the math. :) And I’m from TEXAS.

How did you start modeling?
I was discovered at a music festival in Austin, Texas (SXSW). Tanni and Alan Foreman came up to me and asked me if I wanted to model. I was with my friend Orlando and we thought it was weird. But I took their card and called them up a week or two later.

What was your first big break in the industry?
WOW, um I believe it’s been every break, no matter how big or small. I work with all sorts of people and I believe if you just have fun on a shoot people will want to work with you again. So my break? Just being who I am seems to be it.

What has been your favorite job so far?
That’s a toughie! But I’d have to say my [shoot] with Richard Bush and Sarah Richardson in Brazil!!!! First time to leave the country, a day off to swim in the ocean, and beautiful tear sheets? It doesn’t get much better than that!

What is your dream modeling job?
Mert and Marcus + Louis Vuitton campaign!

How do you deal with all the traveling required to be a model? How do you cure jet-lag?
I don’t get jet lag fortunately. I’m still so young that I’m mainly awake all the time anyway. And the traveling is the best part of this industry! So I don’t deal, I ENJOY!

When you’re not busy modeling, what are some of your favorite things to do?
I love to draw and paint and spend time with my boyfriend. We have the best BBQs on our roof.

Did you ever think about having the gap in your teeth fixed? Why did you decide to keep it?
Yeah I thought about it a lot when I was little, I even went to the dentist to get it fixed, but I’ve never actually had all the money in one place to be able to do it. Now it makes me money!

You have a much larger bust than most models, do you feel that has helped or hurted you?
Good question! I believe it’s a deciding factor for a lot of jobs, because it effects the clothes so much. But it’s part of me! So one day they will just adjust all the clothes to my bust, rather than me having to adjust my breasts for their clothes.

How do you feel about often being compared to Lara Stone?
I don’t mind. I think she has cleared an amazing path for me! But I AM my own person and have many different things to bring to this industry. I do often want to meet her though. It’s so weird to think I know this girl that I’ve never met!

If you weren’t a model, what would you want to do?
Be in college, working towards my art career and probably taking piano or voice lessons. I’ve always wanted to be a Broadway actress. You know Little Shop of Horrors? I’m gonna play Audrey one day! Just you wait.

What’s your favorite snack?
Can I name a few or is that breaking the rules? Pistachios, orange chocolate or carrots and hummus. Sooooooo goooooood.

Where is your favorite place to travel?
Considering I haven’t traveled as much as I’d like to, so far it’s London. I only went there for one day. But the people are soooooo nice and London is so much more my style than Paris. Although the food in Paris is something alone to stay for.

What is your all time favorite movie and why?
I really like Pulp Fiction. I’ve always admired Quentin Tarantino. With a cast and a story like that, you cant go wrong! But Quentin really has a talent. He doesn’t just get his talent from Hollywood special effects. It’s all in the story and he is the best storyteller I know. I’d listen for hours.

For more Ashley Smith, check out her listing at Trump Model Management, where you can watch a short film of her walk.



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario