lunes, 12 de abril de 2010

Don Quijote: Pretty Much the Weirdest Place in the World to Drop $15,000 on an Hermes Bag” y 2 mas

Don Quijote: Pretty Much the Weirdest Place in the World to Drop $15,000 on an Hermes Bag” y 2 mas


Don Quijote: Pretty Much the Weirdest Place in the World to Drop $15,000 on an Hermes Bag

Posted: 12 Apr 2010 07:03 AM PDT



I’m on holiday in Tokyo, which means I’ve been doing a lot of shopping.

Today I toured Don Quijote, a general store that, in my mind, can only be compared to a much more cluttered, much crazier, much more enjoyable Big Lots. (There are 143 Don Quijote stores in Japan and four in Hawaii.)

Every corner of every floor has a different theme. There were eight floors in total–I was at the Roppongi location–and you can buy everything from costumes to imported cheese to fancy vibrators to luggage to jumpsuits. It’s kind of insane.

But the top floor, the luxury floor, is what really blew me away.

There are two sections on the luxury floor stocked with handbags, a bit of jewelry, and watches from brands like Chanel, Hermes, Louis Vuitton and Balenciaga. One section contains “new” merchandise; the other is second-hand goods. And yes, it’s almost all positively genuine stuff, given Japan’s strict laws against counterfeiting and the fact that Don Quijote is a public company. Of course the brands aren’t vocal about their presence there–it’s much like finding Chanel and Louis Vuitton bags at Costco.

The “new” stuff is slightly discounted. Say, $100 to $200 off of the original price. And it’s not super exciting. There was a yellow 2.55 bag from Chanel for about $2,900, a brown Hermes Birkin for $10,000 and Balenciagas in a rainbow of colors. (I put “new” in quotations because it’s quite obviously outlet store-quality product.)

The cast-offs from the brands were just that–cast offs–but the second-hand items were more impressive. I found a black Hermes Kelly for $4,000, several Stephen Sprouse Louis Vuitton pieces and plenty of Epi leather Speedy bags.

I recently invested in a Chanel 2.25 bag, but if I was still on the lookout for the perfect piece, I might have splurged on that Kelly. So, if you find yourself in a Don Quijote, make sure to hit that top floor. Rising above all that weirdness are some luxe treasures.


Style Inspiration for April 2010

Posted: 11 Apr 2010 01:00 PM PDT




From Left to Right: Photo via Garance Doré, Alexander Wang grey sweatshirt, Phoebe Philo in The Gentlewoman Spring/Summer 2010, Freja Beha Erichsen for Chanel SS10 eyewear campaign, Jack Purcell shoes, Brigitte Bardot, Photo via Vanessa Jackman, Carey Mulligan in Interview April 2010, Nars Funny Face lipstick smudge, Sofia Coppola for Marc Jacobs fragrance ad in 2002, Christian Louboutin Engin 120 studded pumps on Net-a-Porter, Sunset Beach postcard, Photo via Jak&Jil, Kate Moss in Vogue Hommes International Spring 2010, Christopher Kane SS10, Stella McCartney SS10, Carey Mulligan in Wonderland April/May 2010, Chloé wood and canvas wedges on Net-a-Porter, Eniko Mihalik in Bon Spring/Summer 2010, Acne/Lanvin collaboration denim dress, Abbey Lee Kershaw in Muse #20


Our Favorite Earth Day Products from Kiehl’s, Aveda & More

Posted: 11 Apr 2010 10:09 AM PDT



I'm an organic freak. If anyone dared open my bathroom cabinet they’d be bombarded with Kiehl’s, Aveda and bareMinerals.

Sure, they're easier on the environment, but they’re also gentler on my sensitive Dutch skin. And with Earth Day around the corner–April 22—-I thought I’d share some of my favorite organic products. Choosing them may not save the world from global warming (at least not visibly), but it will change your complexion.

I've tested just about every natural beauty product out there, from green apple peels to sea lettuce cleansing milks and some experiments were prettier than others. Here are ten of the best.

I'm obsessed with all things Kiehl's, but their Abbysine Eye Cream is like actual magic. I've been using it for the last month and the tiny crowfeet around my eyes are visibly fading. I'm 23, so we're not talking serious wrinkes, so I imagine this cream's worth $33 splurge for more mature faces. I picked up Korres' tinted moisturizer on a romp through Santorini a few summers ago.  Tinted moisturizer can be tricky, and more often that they'll leave a greasy, Oompa Loompa-orange face. Korres does neither, which means it's perfect for those hot summer days when melted foundation just isn't an option. Also, it smells vaguely like Watermelon Sour Patch Kids which is awesome. Forget Secret. I've been using LAVANILA for almost a year now and it rocks. My favorite scent's Vanilla Coconut, but it also comes in Vanilla Lavender, Vanilla Grapefruit and Pure Vanilla. It may be a a lot to spend on deodarant, but you'll never go back to Duane Reade. I've been loyal to bareMinerals since I started wearing makeup, which hasn't been all that long. BareMinerals feels, well, bare, and boasts that it's so natural you can sleep in it. Sold! It's never clogged my pores nor caused a breakout, even if I pass out late at night. BareMinerals also has SPF 15 sun protection, which is essential for sun-deprived New Yorkers. A powerful night cream, this potion makes my skin feel like butter come morning. It's infused with unexpected ingredients like daisy and marshmallow and the friendly staff at Jurlique will give you free and generous samples of anything you'd like to try. Let's face it. That morning shower doesn't always happen, at least not for me. I've tried a bunch of dry shampoos out there, but most have either left my hair feeling like straw or turn me into a grey-haired twenty-something. Not really what I'm going for. Klorane feels like a light mist and soaks up just the right amount of oil from your locks. You can pick this up at Ricky's. A reliable lipstick can be hard to come by, not to mention an all-natural version. My problem with most lipsticks is that they can leave my lips so dry that I find myself applying chapstick under and over the color. Tarte's lipstick is one of the most moisturizing lipsticks I've tried; no chapstick required. It's cute packaging's just the cherry on top.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario