viernes, 9 de abril de 2010

Sofia Coppola, Spike Jonze & More at X-Girl’s 1994 Fashion Show” y 11 mas

Sofia Coppola, Spike Jonze & More at X-Girl’s 1994 Fashion Show” y 11 mas


Sofia Coppola, Spike Jonze & More at X-Girl’s 1994 Fashion Show

Posted: 09 Apr 2010 07:00 AM PDT



Our dear friend Chris sent this over last night, and we’ve already watched it about ten times.

Cindy Crawford’s on the beach in a black bikini introducing an MTV news segment featuring Kim Gordon’s new collecion, X-Girl. Sofia Coppola and Spike Jonze (who’s labeled ‘Event Planner’) talk about how their friend Marc Jacobs just threw a fashion show down the street so they’re hoping to get the traffic, while Linda Evangelista cheers on the models.

We want to know a) who else can you spot and b) will MTV ever be this good again?


Malcolm McLaren, 1946-2010

Posted: 08 Apr 2010 03:23 PM PDT



Malcolm McLaren stands in front of his and Vivienne Westwood’s Sex Shop in 1976.


Aprill 77 Was Profitable for Seven Years Before It Shuttered

Posted: 08 Apr 2010 01:45 PM PDT



What is it with denim brands these days?

It was just a few months ago that we were convinced April 77 was set to hit it big Stateside. Along with high-end jeans, the brand sold contemporary pieces for men and women. It also managed a record label.

Today, WWD reported that instead of blowing up, the Paris-based fashion label was shutting down.

Audrey Gingras, owner of New York-based Archetype Showroom, hinted to buyers that the issues were internal. "There was a lot of potential for this brand and it was a profitable, viable business for seven years. But in the past year, it sort of deteriorated," she said. Apparently, they owe her more than six figures in back payments.

It sounds like April 77’s problems were bigger than the economy, but there’s no denying plenty of high-end denim labels seem to be struggling as of late. A lot of it has to do with the trend cycle–people are less-obsessed with labeled denim right now than they were five years ago.

But it also just seems to be the nature of the denim industry. We can name five labels off the top of our heads that have fired their creative heads, filed for bankruptcy or shut down over the last couple of years.


Nomia’s Yara Flinn Inspires Us

Posted: 08 Apr 2010 01:01 PM PDT



I’ve been captivated by Nomia’s sleek yet feminine designs since Gen Art’s presentation at fashion week, so I decided to head over to designer Yara Flinn’s Williamsburg studio to find out more about the up-and-coming brand.

The label’s following includes Pamela Love and Julia Restoin-Roitfeld, two of the coolest girls in New York, so you can trust that Nomia is the brand to wear if you want to stand out at a fashion party, dinner party, or just walking down the street.

Aside from the wonderful clothes, Yara’s studiomate, photographer Alex John Beck, made my day. His cat popped out five kittens five days ago, which means I may be getting a kitten in the near future….


American Beauty Planted an Editorial Seed

Posted: 08 Apr 2010 12:21 PM PDT



On the left, Coco Rocha in Numero’s June/July 2008 issue. On the right, an image from Tuleste Market’s Spring/Summer 2010 lookbook.


Will Prohibiting Unpaid Internships Kill the Fashion Industry?

Posted: 08 Apr 2010 11:43 AM PDT



Recently, there’s been lots of talk regarding the legality of unpaid internships. The New York Times, for instance, ran a story over the weekend about how labor officials in several states believe that most unpaid interns should be paid minimum wage. Patricia Smith, the federal Labor Department's top official, has said that she and staff are planning to enforce labor laws on a national level.

What does this exactly mean for the fashion? Our industry, and most creative industries, rely on unpaid interns to make things happened. If we didn’t have unpaid assistants working on set, or in the office, magazines wouldn’t get published, film wouldn’t get developed, and fashion shows wouldn’t run so smoothly.

I know that, during my time in college, I did four internships, one of which I was paid a commission on sales that I closed. (It was at a boutique/art gallery.) However, the other three internships, which were in editorial, were unpaid. One landed me my first job out of college. Britt’s senior year internship also resulted in a job right out of school.

The good news: According to our better-educated colleagues at Above the Law, interns who are unpaid but receive college credit are fine. As are interns who are being mentored and educated by their superiors. The bad news: 18-hour days working on a shoot or a day spent cleaning the office–for free–is going to be harder for an employer to defend. That is, if labor officials do indeed question the company’s practices.

Thomas Onorato, a partner at New York public relations and events firm OW!, says that he sympathizes with both sides of the debate. “People mismanage their interns and turn them into personal assistants or a messenger service,” says Onorato. “Our small PR and event business would not run without the help of our amazing interns (which are very hard to find by the way!).”

On the other hand, he also worries that companies who can’t afford to pay interns minimum wage will become less effective, and that the lack of internships will leave many who aspire to break into the industry unprepared, not to mention deflated.

"I personally would not be where I am without the two amazing internships I had while in college. Yes, I got a lot of coffee and ran errands but I also watched and learned so much,” he says. “Many successful people in our industry started this way and it's ridiculous to think these great opportunities for young professionals would all of a sudden go away."

Whether you’ve been an intern, you are an intern, or you want to be an intern, what do you think?

Should everyone be paid something, or are unpaid internships simply a part of getting your foot in the door?


Lancôme & Chanel Battle It Out for Best Mascara

Posted: 08 Apr 2010 10:57 AM PDT



I love mascara.

It’s the one thing, beauty wise, that I won’t leave the house without and I’ve acquired quite a collection of silver tubes this year.

Dior was my go-to brand before people started sending me tubes of black goop on a weekly basis. It was hard to be adventurous before, because it’s nuts to drop $20 on something you may put on your eyes, hate, and then have to throw away, but now that it’s landing on my desk for free, sure, I’ll give it a shot.

I’ve used five different mascaras in the past five days, and I thought a clear winner had emerged until a last minute contender made for a close tie.

Dior. Dior Iconic was my favorite, before that Dior Show. It’s dramatic, almost clumpy, and I had no problem wearing it during the day and throwing on a few extra coats at night. It’s not the easiest to get off, but a couple of extra swipes of Neutrogena’s eye makeup remover and it’d be gone. Volume won out over length thanks to a super thick brush and it’s almost too heavy to wear on the bottom lash. It’s $27 (but I’m pretty sure it used to be $23).

MAC. I used to use MAC in high school, when they had two mascara options and I balked at $13. The Plush Lash is part of their Tabloid collection and it makes my eyes look like spiders. I should say that I already have pretty thick lashes, so if you need serious help with volume this may be a good bet. I, however, will save it for Halloween.

Estée Lauder. This is the only waterproof mascara I tried, and I should preface this by saying that I hate waterproof mascara. (If I put makeup on, I want to be able to get it off and I probably aged my eyes a year by scrubbing this off.) But it smelled good, and it made my lashes super thick. It’s $19.50.

Chanel. After they sent me a tube of their Inimitable mascara I was hooked. I probably talked about it every day for a week. Then the tube ran out and I went to buy more. When I found out it was going to be $33 with tax I laughed and vowed never to spend that much on mascara. Then I went home and tried out all of these other ones I’m writing about, and went back to buy the Chanel. It’s an obscene amount of money to spend on make-up, but it’s the best mascara I’ve ever used.

*Lancôme. * Chanel’s Inimitable was the best mascara I’d worn up until I bought Lancôme’s High Définicils last night. I ran to Bloomingdale’s after work and the woman behind the counter rolled her eyes, “We’re always sold out of that.” So then I had to have it. Found it at Sephora and pulled out the spiky little rubber wand this morning. My eyelashes are impossibly long. They’re not super thick, but they’re probably more day/80° weather appropriate. It wins, just because I feel better spending $27 instead of $33.


Terry Doesn’t Discriminate

Posted: 08 Apr 2010 10:15 AM PDT




“I love shooting guys. Some of my favorite pictures over the years have been the things I’ve done with guys. In a commercial context too, there’s no hair or makeup with guys, which is great. I love shooting nudes of guys, but it’s harder to get guys to do full nudes, I don’t know why, but they don’t want to show their junk. I love doing guys. If there are any guys out there that want to get naked you can email: model@terryrichardson.com.” –Terry Richardson in an interview with The Journal (via the Cut)


More Fenton/Fallon for J.Crew, Please!

Posted: 08 Apr 2010 09:40 AM PDT



We've made no secret of our blind love for J.Crew. And now creative director Jenna Lyons has upped the ante through her collaboration with jewelry designer and CFDA nominee Dana Lorenz of Fenton/Fallon.

I don't do dainty, ladylike accessories. The chunkier and more hardware the better. So when Fenton/Fallon introduced huge tangled chains mixed in with Swarovski crystals, I was besotted. It is not jewelry for the meek. I held my breath and wondered how true to the original the J. Crew line would be.

After first checking out the Fenton/Fallon merch on the J.Crew Web site, I went to the flagship store in Rockefeller Center and grabbed the first salesgirl I saw. She had no clue what or where the Fenton/Fallon jewelry was. After a brief moment of panic on my part, a manager quickly brought me over to the jewelry case. All seven pieces were some variation on the twisted chain pieces and "needle" motif that Dana does for her main lines.

The prices ranged from $95 (for the Carrington chain bracelet which I swooped in and bought immediately) to $295 for the Carrington center fringe and crystal bow necklaces. The pieces are hefty, look much more expensive than they are, and are definitely not just watered down versions of the originals. I went home and ended up ordering the Carrington chain and needle necklace online. My one complaint is that it was delivered crammed into a too-small jewelry box, and one of the rhinestone chains was broken.

I found a similar chain necklace in the Fenton/Fallon boutique in NYC. It looked almost identical to my $195 J.Crew version, but without the "needles" and about three times the scale. It was enormous, and cost $290.

The pricing for the more expensive Fenton line runs from $300-$1000, while the Fallon line runs about $60-$350. So the J.Crew version straddles those two price points, and really is a stylistic mash-up of both lines.

I haven't gotten so many compliments on a piece of jewelry in a long time. Let's hope this collaboration is long and fruitful.


Fashion News Roundup: Jack Purcell Makes Us Smile, Bloggers’ First Posts & Wang’s Diego On Sale Today

Posted: 08 Apr 2010 08:59 AM PDT



Sneakerphiles: Nylon has a first look at the latest Jack Purcell for Converse campaign. It was shot by Todd Selby and features some really cool kids. {Nylon}

Look How Far They’ve Come: Refinery29 went back into the archives and dug up the very first posts from some of our favorite indie fashion bloggers. Tavi, Bryanboy and Rumi look like babies! {Refinery29}

Leopard Lust: Alex Wang designs some of the most coveted accessories. This limited edition Diego bucket bag goes on sale today at 4pm—on the designer’s site only! We suggest having your credit cards ready. {Style.com}

Kim is Cool: The Times wrote an amazing article on Kim Hastreiter, Paper’s legendary editor and this year’s CFDA winner of the Eugenia Shepard Award. They dubbed her “the coolest person in New York.” We totally agree. {The New York Times}

Lessons in Dye Jobs: In case you missed it, there’s a video clip of Proenza Schouler’s Jack and Lazaro on Martha Stewart yesterday. The domestic maven teaches them how to tie-dye. Imagine that! {HuffPo}

Q&A: Designer Thom Browne talks to WWD about his line and why he’s moving his runway show to Paris. {WWD}


How Much Would You Pay For Face Time With Anna Wintour?

Posted: 08 Apr 2010 08:21 AM PDT



CharityBuzz is hosting an auction to benefit the RFK Center for Justice and Human Rights–it went live this morning.

There may be prizes involving Robert DeNiro, John Cusack, Shepard Fairey and even Oprah, but it’s the Vogue package you’ll want to bid on.

The winner gets some swag, The Teen Vogue Handbook, The September Issue, a couple of In Vogue books, and a copy of the magazine, but that’s nothing compared to the week you’ll get to spend on the 12th floor of 4 Times Square.

Sure, you’ll probably be interning, but the listing promises to be “tailored to the individual interests and skill set of the auction winner,” and really, who wouldn’t want to intern at Vogue for a week? Plus, you’ll get to meet Anna in person, which interns don’t do.

And, you’ll get a ticket to a show during New York Fashion Week. It probably won’t be Marc Jacobs, and you probably won’t sit next to Anna, but who cares when you’ve already met her?

Bidding starts at $1000.


Acne’s New Website is Pretty in Pink

Posted: 08 Apr 2010 07:35 AM PDT



Acne’s e-commerce Web site–Acnestudios.com–got a facelift this week, but it’s not just the background color that’s changed from white to salmon.

The Swedish lifestyle brand also officially launched Acne Journal, a blog companion to Acne Paper, which is published twice a year. (Acne Journal has technically been around since 2009, but the redesign marks its “coming out.”)

Of course, we’re not surprised that Acne’s savvy creative director Jonny Johansson has jumped into producing digital editorial content. From Opening Ceremony to Vena Cava to Urban Outfitters, a blog-ette has quickly become a necessary part of the brand-building process for fashion labels.

The new site also allows shoppers to pay for goods via PayPal, so those of us who sell stuff on eBay can now put that extra cash towards a new Lanvin by Acne dress.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario